Friday, November 16, 2012

Surplus pies


"November 26, 1994:  Baked two pumpkin pies, an apple pie and an angel food cake to take to Nancy's tomorrow for our Thanksgiving dinner.
November 27, 1994:  Brrrr!  Started snowing about 6:30 a.m. -- received about 4 or 5 inches -- windy -- so no trip to Lincoln.  We had oyster soup for dinner and pie!!
November 28, 1994:  Am working on a 3" square patch quilt."

Grandma must have been pretty tickled about that 3" square quilt.  This is the second time she's mentioned it.  I am not judging however, because I repeat myself quite a bit.  I am not judging however, because I repeat myself quite a bit.

I do not recall this particular weather-affected event.  I do remember when I was in college and Mom couldn't come down for Christmas.  That was AWFUL.  She was my biggest Santa and that time and . . . nothing.  I did survive, however and Santa Mom came through later when the weather was better.

Speaking of pie, John and I like it so much we have forced ourselves to have it only once a month.  It's a tough existence, but we are remaining strong.

It's a good thing there's no photo of the college-non-Mom Christmas because I was probably pretty sad-faced.  Here's a happier one circa 1966.

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember this Thanksgiving either, but dang it sounds like I didn't get invited up for oyster soup and pie.
    Do remember the Christmas in San Rafael when Dale was a baby and no package from home for Christmas. Was I a sad case or what? First I thought Mom had been late getting it mailed, but she had mailed it in plenty of time. It got lost along with way. Never did get it. Grandma was pretty upset because she had made an apron for me trimmed with rick-rack and she had tacked each point down by hand. More than once she mentioned that whoever got that package she sure hoped they enjoyed that apron.

    ReplyDelete