Monday, November 26, 2012

Normal things and serious things


"January 9, 1995:  Lois K. came for Merilyn's quilt.
January 10, 1995:  Called Marie P. for her birthday.
January 11, 1995:  John came just as Howard was ready to take me to WELCA -- so he gave me a ride to the church.  Mary Ann S. took Helen and me home.  Gas man put a new belt on the furnace.
January 12, 1995:  TOPS meeting tonight."

Grandma has something for four days in a row here, but it's pretty ho-hum stuff, not that I am not grateful that she put this stuff down.

Grandma had other things in this little journal that were not day-to-day things.  I posted long ago the list of people that got black walnuts once.  I don't think I've used what she had on the inside cover of the journal before.  I have no idea why this information was put to paper, but here it is:

"Korean Conflict
June 1950 - July 27, 1953

Vietnam War
1964 - 1975
April 1970 - Nixon sent troops to Cambodia
Fall of Saigon - April 30, 1974
Beginning of Johnson's administration
1963 -- 17,000 American troops in Vietnam
5 years later over 500,000 troops there

1958 -- Alaska admitted to Union"

I didn't fact-check any of this, but toss it out there just because.  I imagine most reading this know, but just for the record, all of the KIAs from Wayne County during the Vietnam War were from Winside, and if I have them correct from my internet search they were Sgt Robert Lee Dangberg, Sgt Robert Alfred Wagner, and Pfc Mark Steven Witt.

(I had to make the photo smaller than usual due to its resolution.)



No comments:

Post a Comment