Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Cream pies!


"January 16, 1995:  Baked two cream pies -- one a birthday present for Lester.  Ted Wallingford called tonight that Dora was very sick.
January 17, 1995:  Tom called tonight.  They plan to come the 28th and 29th for my birthday.
January 18, 1995:  Went to Busy Bees Club at Ella Mae C.'s.

Every family has certain recipes that are "musts" for certain occasions.  I think cream pies would rank right up there near the top of the list with our family -- somewhere close to Omaha Potatoes.  I was an adult before I tasted cream pie, I believe.  Not that they doesn't look tasty, I just hadn't figured out what all the fuss was about and just left them for the obvious fanatics.

I had this post all ready to go yesterday, but thought I should delay until I could scan a photo of the known originator of the cream pie tradition, Maggie "Little Grandma" Iversen.  So, here she is.  I wish I could have known her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment