Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Different kinds of needles


"October 18, 1994:  Bertha, Lois, Lila and I quilted in p.m.
October 19, 1994:  Busy Bees at Bonnie W.'s.  Helen H. was hostess.
October 20, 1994:  Greta and Lester took Howard and me to Pierce to get our flu shots."

I like quilting needles better than inoculation needles, but I'm getting better about that.  I wonder how many times Grandma told the story on me of when I fainted after getting a tetanus shot in the 5th grade.  I still contend I was so frustrated Mom didn't believe me that I didn't need one that I got all worked up -- on the inside, of course; we Scandinavian Lutherans don't get outwardly worked up and especially not in public.  But, I survived both the shot and the fainting, and Grandma survived the shock of me fainting, and Mom survives still in the knowledge that I really didn't need that shot then but that there was no harm done.  And I truly didn't need one because I got one in the 1st grade after stepping on some glass in my bare feet at the neighbors' house in Norfolk.  Something I reminded her of at the time . . .

I have no photos of needles nor of the neighbors' house in Norfolk nor of me fainting.  But here is a photo of a fainting goat fainting.  Not that I consider myself a goat, but I do like goats.  I don't think I want to get fainting ones, though, because nearly all visitors to the place will holler and make them faint and I find that mean somehow.  Not that I am above posting a photo of a goat that someone probably hollered at.  I think I need to quit this now.  It's getting a bit silly.  Sillier than Scandinavian Lutherans should get while blogging.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the tetanus shot. But I don't think that would explain the later fainting episodes - shot for Mono, taking blood samples in biology, etc. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think they are connected. PTSD. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this, on multiple levels. One, I now know where MY fear of needles comes from. Does anyone (mom) recall the time I fainted while having a blister popped? There was a needle involved. Two, I really think you should get fainting goats. Could provide some stress relief for you after long days at work. Three, I comment to my friends all the time about us Scandinavian Lutherans and our 'peculiar' ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do recall that fainting episode of yours. I just don't talk about it since I don't want Mom to feel bad about all the negative needle mojo she is responsible for with that tetanus shot all those years ago. My incredibly goofy ducks are my stress relief at this time, so no fainting goats needed. Yet.

    ReplyDelete