Thursday, November 8, 2012

Quilting and killing


"October 22, 1994:  Tom and Merilyn came in late afternoon.  After supper they went to Greta's for the night.
October 23, 1994:  Tom and Merilyn went up  to the river to get their scaffolding.  Had a late dinner, played some cards before they left for Lincoln.
October 24, 1994:  Quilted in p.m. -- Lois K., Arlene R. and I.
October 25, 1994:  Had our first killing frost last night.  Quilted in p.m.  Bertha R., Lois, Arlene R. and I.  Greta came this evening and pulled up all marigolds, petunias, etc."

Thought that title might be kinda catchy.  I always thought "killing frost" was a bit of an extreme term.  I know what it means, of course, it just seemed to dredge up Stephen King-like thoughts in my mind -- things gray and dark and creepy.

I assume the scaffolding was at some cabin or other of Tom and Merilyn's.  I don't think that I ever saw one that they had -- did they have more than one over the years?  I know I went up to Gavins (Gavin's? Gavins'?) Point when I was still in school, but we just boated and came back -- I don't think we went to any cabin.  I mainly remember being very, very sunburned and then having the tow rope go across my legs in a big hurry when I was trying the knee board thingy.  You can understand why that is something I remember.  Still, a fun time was had by all.

And speaking of creepy, here's that photo I have titled, "Looney" again.  As a side note, Anna thinks the shirt I am wearing there is cool and wears it often.  It is thereby apparent that I haven't failed miserably as her mother.  Just don't let her know about this photo or she may never wear it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment