Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Christmas 1994 and Post #300


"December 22, 1994:  TOPS had Xmas party here.  Low calorie snacks and gift exchange.
December 24, 1994:  Nancy came at noon.  Helped me for evening.  Greta, Dorothy Jo, John, Helen here too for soup supper at 5:30 -- then gift exchange.  Greta, Helen and Dorothy went to 9:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service at church.  Nancy and I played Rummicube.
December 25, 1994:  Howard rode to Wahoo with Nancy.  About 10:30 when we got there.  Jayson and Lora left before dinner.  Exchanged gifts in p.m.  Tom and Merilyn not there -- her sister and husband were at their place.  John and Helen and all the others there.  Came home about 8:30 -- saw so many pretty lighted places on the way."

How very well I remember soup on Christmas Eve -- I had chili and left the oyster soup (ugh!) to others.  The evening also included church and singing carols by candlelight and the goodie bag we kids got when the service was over that always included an apple or an orange (sometimes both!) plus peanuts in the shell.  Nothing so extravagant as to write a book about, but remembered traditions nonetheless.  I suppose I was a wiggly pest waiting for the soup and polite conversation to be over so we could open gifts.  We didn't do things in the order Grandma lists here.  It was church, supper and finally presents.  Hard to wait through all that when you are a kid.  Even an older kid.  I became a mean mother and had my kids wait until Christmas morning.  I figured it was actually less torturous that way for the adults than the wiggly pest thing going on for a whole day.  They survived quite nicely.

I am out of Christmas photos, so thought I'd just use this one of the almost-Christmas baby.  He's two days old here, so it was December 28 of that year but oh, well.

2 comments:

  1. I think Mom has the Christmas Eve sequence right on this occasion. When you were a kid church was much earlier. Don't think you ever had to wait for 9 o'clock services did you?
    Darling baby by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little confused when I first read this. Mom said that Daddy rode to Wahoo with me and I wondered how did Mom get there. After reading this again this morning I realize that she must have ridden down with Uncle John and Aunt Helen. So the mystery is solved.

    ReplyDelete