Thursday, March 1, 2012

Family, family, family

"July 24, 1990:  Greta, Lester, Irene, Raymond, Marina, Dorothy Jo at Helen's for supper.
July 25, 1990:  Housewarming for Helen and John.
July 28, 1990:  Lester, Greta, Raymond, Marina, Irene, Helen and John here for dinner.
July 29, 1990:  Mary and Rick here for dinner -- had a nice visit."

Now, I do not have to point out the obvious to the careful readers of the above entries.  The first three simply state what happened but the last one makes a commentary on the quality of the company, i.e. "had a nice visit."

I am, of course, just kidding.  They were all nice visits and fun times, I am sure.  Just had to toot my own horn a little bit. 

I purposely put a good number of entries in this one post for a reason.  I find it interesting that a well-rounded person such as Grandma would not write about weather very often, or about a story she read, or about things in the news -- things like that.  So far in these 30+ blog entries, she mainly writes about family.  There is nothing unique about that, but I still like it very much.  I thought maybe Grandma was especially fond of family events since they were somewhat scarce when she was growing up.  But, Mom tells me that there were probably more family gatherings during her childhood than I realized. 

Is it mean of me to select a photo of a family event that has Nancy in it when she wasn't part of the gatherings listed?  Even though it is fairly unremarkable, I like this photo.  I recognize the serving bowls and drinking glasses being used.  I can see Grandma's Danish plates on the wall.  (I cannot, however, identify the photo or whatever that is right below the plates.)  Also, the back door is open.  For some reason I like that I can see the living room, kitchen, back porch and the light coming through the door.  I, like others in the family, enjoyed that house and the property it sat on very much.  This picture takes me right back there.  Oh, and Mom is looking great in those shorts.

[This was supposed to post at 6 a.m. -- not sure what happened, but here it is late.]

No comments:

Post a Comment