Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mostly catching up on comments

"February 10, 1991:  Mitchell was to be baptized but Rick's cousin who was to be a sponsor was sick.
February 13, 1991:  W of ELCA meeting.
February 20, 1991:  Busy Bees at Ella Mae's -- everyone present."

Speaking of Mitch, he went on a total tear with comments here recently.  Which was unknowingly bad form on his part, because I was already behind on catching up with non-Mitch comments.  I will get organized here and do an update.

The last time I commented on comments, part of the post was about The Black Knight, something both Mom and Nancy commented on.  Seems they both remember going there (unlike me) and that the food was good.  Mom said Grandma usually had shrimp and Grandpa usually had steak.  Sadly, The Black Knight is no more.  There was a fire and the building was not used as a restaurant again. 

Nancy also commented on the time Kyleah, possibly under duress, stayed overnight.  She was okay for awhile but then wanted to know when she could go home and was told she would be leaving in the morning.  The next day she woke Nancy up to tell her "the sun was on now" and could she go home.

As for the baby shower, memories are spotty which makes me feel very good about my own spotty memory.  Nancy reports she and Merilyn were in charge of getting a family group gift, which she thought odd since neither of them had children.  She remembers specific instructions from Mom, who admits she forgot what the gift was.  Nancy remembers the shower, but not that Dorothy Jo stayed with her.  Mom does remember that Dane was on a bouncy-something close to some sliding glass doors and with his rigorous bouncing, she thought he'd surely go through them.  Thankfully he didn't.  I want to say that the family group gift was the car seat, but I'd have to go check Mitch's baby 'stuff' to be sure.  In a nutshell, it appears I come by my somewhat unreliable memory quite honestly.

Both Mom and Mitch commented that they liked Aunt Irene's story about the trip to Denmark.  Mitch enjoyed it so much, he is ready to move to a small village there.  He thought the bearded man in the one photo was probably Grandpa, but was not ready to bet the farm on it.

As for the black and red beads that the grandkids played with and played with and played with and sometimes fought over, I was right in that we kept a few.  Mitch says they are in his closet in Arizona and that he can't bear to part with them.

He is thankful if he does indeed have Uncle Ray's health genes and is already thankful as it is that he has someone's tall/lanky genes.  Speaking of genes, Mitch admits to getting flustered at making spelling or grammar errors, a trait he most surely inherited from me.  He is a bit biased and thinks the post about his birth is my "best entry yet."

Lastly for Mitch, he really likes Mom's glasses in the old photo of her looking at a baby.  He hadn't seen it before, but it is now easily one of his favs.

Mom disagrees with Kyleah about her dress and thinks its cute.  I'd have to agree with Mom on that.

Mom also commented on the coat I am wearing in the big snow picture.  I am just going to quote her rather than paraphrase: "The coat you are wearing in this picture is one that Grandma Anna made for you.  I was always and still am amazed at how she could make clothes.  I remember going to Norfolk and she would see a dress in a store window, get out her little notebook and make a sketch, go home and spread some newspapers out on the table and make a pattern.  Amazing!"  I wish I was able to know Grandma Anna better than I did.  I think I would have liked that.

The photo of me has nothing to do with anything.  It is, however, the most recent photo anyone will ever see of me in a swimming suit.  I think I was daydreaming about having a blog someday, but it's hard to know for sure.

1 comment:

  1. In all fairness to Kyleah, the picture you published is one of a series of two. In the other one she is a very happy little girl sitting there with Mitch. I don't know what happened that she got "pouty" but we do have many great pictures of her happy little face.

    ReplyDelete