Thursday, March 22, 2012

Two Christmases

"December 25, 1990:  Nancy, Marina, Raymond, Greta, Howard and I left at 7:00.  We stopped at Bill's for coffee and rolls -- then on to Tom's at Lincoln.  Had a lovely dinner and wonderful afternoon -- Dale, Lynn, Dane, Rick, Mary, Bill's -- all there."

I definitely remember this particular day, as does Lynn, I am sure.  Not only were we both very pregnant and kinda owly (especially me -- we spent quite a bit of time in the basement, just us and Dane -- wanting to be away from people), we were lined up with Bill and Grandpa so laughing people could take photos of the four sizable bellies.  We smiled, but . . .

Seriously, we were fine and had a good time.  It was just a different kind of Christmas for the two of us.

Aside from having the chance to visit with ancestors, there are not a lot of things that immediately come to mind that I would want to go back in time to do or to see.  It would be neat to see Mt. Rushmore in progress and big cities when they were new and rugged.  I would probably like to go back to see the Twin Towers again as I did not give them their proper due when I had the chance.  But for the most part, I am content to live in the time I live.  That being said, I would dearly like to have had the chance to see the Danish Christmas dance, otherwise known as the Dane Dance, that they used to have in Winside.

I asked Mom and Nancy for some memories.  They are a bit sketchy about some of the details, but both definitely remember the Christmas tree and the dancing itself.  It was a highlight of the Christmas season and lots of people that weren't Danes came, too.  There was live music, of course, at least a fiddle and an accordion.  It is unclear as to whether the tree was in the middle of the auditorium dance floor for the whole event or if it was brought in for the intermission.  The kids held hands and danced around the tree and ended up with a bag of nuts and candy before it was all over.  Nancy remembers "dancing" with Grandpa by standing on his feet while he manuevered around the floor.  People brought sandwiches and cake and there was a meal during intermission.

It sounds like a fabulous time.   Again, I wish I could have been at one.

The photo is of Christmas 1978.  I love how Santa Bill looks to be having soooo much fun and Jayme looks a little squirmy.  Jayson is cute.  As always.

No comments:

Post a Comment