Saturday, March 17, 2012

Appendectomy

"November 12 and 13, 1990:  Quilted at church.
November 14, 1990:  Ladies Aid meeting
November 16, 1990:  Pinochle at Laura J.'s.
November 21, 1990:  Helen had emergency surgery -- an appendectomy."

Good heavens.  I know Grandma wasn't making this stuff up, but once again here is something I don't remember.  Was I so self-absorbed with the upcoming birth of my little babe that I blocked out everything else?  I am guessing my lack of memory is maybe a good thing; that Aunt Helen had an uneventful surgery and recovery.  Certainly I would have some memory if that was not so.  I hope I sent her a card or something.

Since I don't have a lot to work with here, I will go to the back of this particular journal of Grandma's for some black walnut information.  This page has "1999" at the top and "Howard's record of black walnuts" and then the following list.  I am assuming then that all of these walnuts were given out during that year.  I don't know that they were all cracked that year, but I know Grandpa had oodles of black walnuts to crack so I guess it is possible.  Here's the list:

Greta - 1 pint
Jean - 1 pint
Myrtle - 1 pint
Jenny - 1 quart
Tom - 1 quart
Wilva - 1 pint
Duane T. - 1 pint
Randy J. - 1 pint
Arlene R. - 1 pint
Herb J. - 1 quart
Marcella S. - 1 1/2 pint
Dwight O. - 1 1/2 pint
Greta - 1 pint
Hazel (Wahoo) - 1 pint
Gaylord - 1 1/2 pint
Claire B. - 1 quart
Greta - 1 quart
Duane T. - 1 quart
Barb L. - 1 1/2 pint
Lynn - 1 quart
Helen H. - 1 pint
Mary - 1 pint
Jenny - 1 pint

My quick count gives 32 pints.  Egads!  I don't know what a pint of shelled black walnuts weighs, but I know they are fairly pricey per pound.  I am guessing Grandpa didn't take a dime for the walnuts, even those given to people outside the family.  I wonder if Jean was in town to get hers or if they were mailed up to her.

I have no particular reason for this photo.  It is of Lloyd, Mom and Ronnie back when none of them probably gave a hoot about black walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment