Friday, March 2, 2012

Globetrotting Uncle Elmer


August 1, 1990:  Irene, Helen, John, Raymond, Marina, Howard and I at Elmer's for dinner.
August 3, 1990:  Friday evening Howard and I went to Irene's to visit with Raymond and Marina.  They left for home Saturday morning."

Not much for comment in there but again, family stuff.

I wrote a little previously about Aunt Myrtle but not about Uncle Elmer.  I did not know it before peeking at the family history book, but he was quite the wanderer.  And also somewhat of a Jack-of-all-trades.  Mentioned in the history are his adventures in Colorado, Havelock (Nebraska), Wyoming, Texas, Kansas, North Dakota and Arkansas as well as a few other locations in Nebraska.  His varying jobs during his life included farming, working on Caterpillars, working on a combine crew, working in a locomotive repair shop, picking corn, being a wagon dumper, and being a mule skinner.  I had to look up the origin of the term "mule skinner."  A person who handles a mule or mule team has to be able to "skin" or outsmart the mules since they certainly have minds of their own.  Who knew?

I think I have used this photo before, but it was the best I had handy of Uncle Elmer.  From left to right, these fine folks are Uncle Raymond, Uncle Elmer, Aunt Irene, Aunt Helen and Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment