Monday, March 5, 2012

Nature's Bounty

"August 12, 1990:  Nancy helped get things for her to take home for a garage sale.
August 14, 1990:  Fixed 9 pints of corn for the freezer - from the garden.
[Undated]:  Put 18 more pints of corn in the freezer."

You gotta love food from the garden.  I have mentioned before that Grandpa had crazy gardening skills.  I have quite a few memories of not the garden necessarily, but of the results -- not that I didn't spend a good number of hours planting and picking over the years.  I remember Grandma Anna sitting on the back porch using an electric knife to cut corn off cob after cob.  And of me helping shell peas or snip beans -- with a preference for the peas.  Dale would leave the house when Grandma was making pickled beets because he couldn't stand the smell.  She probably stopped when I was in kindergarten or shortly thereafter, but I still remember Grandma's strawberries and where they were in the garden.  Sometimes I would go to the garden armed with a paring knife, pull some kohlrabi and eat it right there.  I don't think I would care for them now, but I've had many a sun-hot cucumber, too.  Oh, and the volunteer tomatoes!  Both the little red ones and the pear-shaped yellow ones were favorites.

More recently, we had plum sauce at Mom's.  She made it from plums that Grandma had frozen.  Seems the plum trees were doing quite well and Grandpa would pick up plums and bring them in the house.  After a while, Grandma was rather hoping he wouldn't anymore, but she diligently froze or otherwise made good use of all he brought to her.  And we are still reaping the benefits.

The picture is from a time when both Dale and I were probably prone to raiding the strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment