Saturday, March 10, 2012

Christmas plates

"October 3, 1990:  Eye examination by Dr. Meyer.
October 4, 1990:  Eye examination by Dr. Speck.
October 5, 1990:  Nancy came again.  Saturday, she and Greta painted the garage.  Rick and Mary came in p.m.  Rick helped paint, too.  Sunday Nancy helped wash dishes in china closet and the Xmas plates."

Once again, a mention of me being there for an event I don't remember.  I love to paint, but am guessing I begged off due to being great with child.  Well, maybe not great yet but . . .  Maybe I just wanted to visit with Grandma in the house.

The Christmas plates were a known fixture in Grandma's house as anyone who had been there can attest.  I didn't see the unveiling of the new plate every year, but I remember being excited when I did happen to be there for that occasion.  It looks like Grandma's plates were Bing & Grondahl and Mom tells me the collection was started when Dora gave Grandma her first plate.  She gave one a year until it got a bit pricey and then Grandma simply purchased them for herself.

I was sad to learn from my research online that Bing & Grondahl was merged with another Danish porcelain plate company, Royal Copenhagen.  That in itself is not a big deal, but then later Royal Copenhagen moved nearly all of its production to Thailand.  I don't think that makes them Danish plates anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment