Sunday, March 18, 2012

Thanksgiving and Sunday recipe


"November 22, 1990:  Tied a comforter for Lynn and Dale's Christmas present.
November 24, 1990:  Nancy came in evening.
November 25, 1990:  Family gathering for Thanksgiving at Greta's.  All present except Lynn -- had to go to her sister's."

I've not taken a family poll, but I think I like Thanksgiving family gatherings better than even Christmas gatherings; not that I am knocking Christmas.  Too much mental planning goes on around Christmas for me whereas Thanksgiving is just "what dish do I bring?" and "where do we show up?"  The weather is usually kind to us and everyone is just happy (okay, thankful) to be together and the conversation is always good and it is just plain nice.  I am not able to put this in to words very well, but I just like Thanksgiving.  And then there was the one year we went to Grandmother's in Lincoln for Thanksgiving.  And we were super thankful that year -- we got to hear all the details on how Dale had recently shot himself with a nail gun and lived to tell the (somewhat comical) story.

Here's a recipe that I got from the Winside cookbook.  It is one of Norma B.'s but around my work, it is known as Mary's Famous Banana Bread, or something like that.  It is always well received and is just yummy if I do say so myself.  I believe I told Norma once upon a time that I had commandeered her recipe but she didn't mind.

Banana Bread

1 T. vinegar
Approximately 1 c. milk
2 c. white sugar
½ c. margarine (can be melted)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1½ t. soda
3 c. flour
½ c. nuts (optional)
Put vinegar in a measuring cup and then fill with milk to the 3/4-cup mark. Set aside. Beat sugar and margarine together; add bananas and mix well. Add eggs and stir until mixed. Sift together dry ingredients and combine with banana mixture. Add milk/vinegar and mix well. Stir in nuts, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Makes 2-3 regular sized loaves.

The photos are from November 1994 and I am guessing they were taken at Thanksgiving dinner.  Close enough anyway.  I had to post both since I didn't want to pick one over the other.  The kids were kinda wild that day.  Mitch's foot is up in the air in the photo with Grandma, but Grandpa is holding it down in the other picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment