Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two birthdays in two days

"August 24, 1990:  Greta, Lester, Dorothy Jo, Howard and I went to John's for his birthday.
August 25, 1990:  Greta drove her car and took Irene, Helen, Dorothy Jo and me to Fremont for Dora's 92nd birthday."

I note from the family history book that Dora's mother (Aunt Kate) and Dora's grandmother (also my great-great grandmother, Karen Thompsen Pedersen) are buried in Fremont.  I imagine Dora is, too.  This means I need to take a trip to Fremont to visit graves and get some better photos.  The only photos I have are xerox versions in the family history book.  I guess the time spent with Grandpa mowing the Winside cemetery has given me an appreciation not only for that cemetery, but others as well.  Findagrave.com has a place where people can request photos be taken and submitted to them of family tombstones.  It takes a small effort on my part to help someone who may be states and states away.  I took a few in a rural cemetery near Raymond last year, and may have to do more this year once the grass is green which makes for nicer photos, in my opinion.  I am open to company if anyone would like to come along. 

The photo above is of Fremont in 1908.  Our family pioneer, Karen Pedersen, came to America in 1884 at the age of 43 years.  Unfortunately, she lived only 13 years beyond that and died in 1897.  This means she died ten years before the photo of Fremont was taken.  How fascinating it would be to know the town as she knew it.  Fremont was founded in 1856 and was a hub of activity due to its proximity to the Mormon Trail.  A ferry crossing the Elkhorn River was also close to Fremont.  It was a major overland route for emigrants, the military and hunters.  Interesting stuff.

1 comment:

  1. As I understand it Karen was pronounced "Karn"
    Maybe that is the Danish way of saying it.

    ReplyDelete