Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Another birthday

"August 26 - 29, 1990:  Extremely hot and humid.
[undated]:  The riding lawn mower broke down.  A bill of around $130 at Wacker's and then $337.92 at Gallop's.  Still cheaper than a new mower.
September 8 and 9, 1990:  Greta and I went to Lincoln for Dane's birthday.  Nancy had the dinner on Sunday.  Saturday night Nancy and I visited Tom's.  We had a ride in Merilyn's new convertible."

I think I get my propensity for exact detail from Grandma. Was it necessary for her to record the bill at Gallop's down to the last cent?  Probably not, but it is precisely what I would have done.  And the Wacker's bill?  Well maybe she didn't get that one written down and forgot.

I am sure I was at Dane's birthday party in 1990, but I don't remember it with any clarity.  I do remember the time we all hid in Dale's garage for a surprise party for a fairly young Dane and nearly scared the life out of him when we hollered, "SURPRISE!".  Poor kid.  I think he's forgiven us.

I would have liked to have been along for the convertible ride. I bet Grandma had fun.  Merilyn has great taste in cars.

The photo is not of Dane's birthday party but some occasion up at Mom's.  Obviously the Golden Child is being slightly un-golden in fighting over beads with his sweet little sister, who is looking somewhat un-angelic here.  That's Mitch in the blue to the right, watching but staying clear of the conflict.  Good boy.  And Nancy's not helping either.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think there was another thing the grandkids like to play with more than those beads. When we moved into the house the curtains in the kitchen consisted of these strands or strings or whatever you want to call them of red and black beads. I didn't keep them very long. Way too much trouble to clean! But couldn't stand to throw them away because I might need them for something. Little did I know how much fun the kids would have with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those beads are sitting in my closet right now. Even now, at 21 years of age, I don't have the heart to toss them.

    ReplyDelete