Monday, March 12, 2012

The apricot tree

"October 17, 1990:  Busy Bees at Irene's.  Windy, rain turning to snow in night.  The second part of the apricot tree west of the house blew down.
October 19, 1990:  Ray and Aileen here in p.m.  They came for a reunion of Aileen's cousins at Neligh."

I don't recall the apricot tree west of the house being a big producer, but I do vaguely remember the one north of the house.  Seems it was barely outside the back door.  Experts say the sense of smell is the most tied to nostalgia and I do associate the smell of apricots with going out that door.  I also vaguely remember being quite upset that the tree had to be cut down.  I am sure there was a very good reason, it was probably dead or dying.  I also remember canned apricots.  Sometimes I had to go to the basement to get canned goods.  It was not my favorite place to go when I was young.  It had a dirt floor and was rather dark and closed in and I didn't like the spiderwebs.  Oh, and there was an opening in the wall on one side as you went down the stairs.  I imagined all kinds of horrible things living in there and waiting to get me.  But none ever did and when I got older, the basement wasn't scary anymore.

I need to grab the other family history book to get the low down on Uncle Ray.  I remember him only as a great uncle and not as a young man.  The only thing I can report with certainty is that when he died (in his 90's), the only medication he was taking was an aspirin a day and he was buried in his wedding suit.  He is the only person in the family tree that I can figure Mitch gets his tall, lanky physique from.  If that is the case, I certainly hope he gets Uncle Ray's good health genes.

The photo is of me.  Someone who never has been and never will be tall and lanky.

2 comments:

  1. Actually Uncle Ray was 93, the same age as Mom and Daddy when they died. Grandma Anna was just 3 months shy of 93.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, I am quite appreciative of those tall and lanky genes. My fingers are crossed on the healthy genes, as well.

    ReplyDelete