Saturday, March 3, 2012

A funeral and a birthday party

"August 6, 1990:  Went to Helen's in the evening to visit with Gary and family.
August 7, 1990:  Mamie J.'s funeral in morning.  To Johanna's in p.m. for her 95th birthday.  Irene, Helen, Kathy M., Marilyn M., Arlene P., [another] Arlene P., Mary Lynne, Teresa, Dorothy Jo and I were there."

I adored Mamie.  I knew her granddaughters and her husband, Leo.  I never went to her home nor had serious conversations with her.  But she was cheerful and happy and...I know it doesn't matter, but she was also...cute.  I can't picture her without a smile.

The same can all be said of Johanna, except I did go to her house.  Her neat-as-a-pin, no-dirt-particles-allowed, cute little house.  I think Micki and Teresa and some others took Johanna out for her 90th birthday (or some other impressive numbered birthday) to have pizza.  Apparently Johanna had never had pizza before.  I never found out if she liked it.  I am guessing she would not have let on if she didn't.

And I can't talk about Johanna without mentioning her peanut butter cookies.  The cookies by themselves were exceptional, but what was even better is that the cookies were made into sandwiches with more peanut butter in between two of them.  Absolute peanut buttery heaven!

I have to reuse a photo to get one of Johanna.  If I find a better one, I'll find a reason to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment