Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Black Knight and catching up on comments

"October 28, 1990:  Bill, Jenny and Jayme came.  We went to The Black Knight in Wayne for dinner.  Played cards in p.m.  They left early -- stopped to see Irene who fell this morning.
November 1, 1990:  Put Mary's baby quilt in frame -- finished quilting it Nov. 7.
November 3, 1990:  About 2 inches of snow.
November 6, 1990:  4 or more inches of snow."

This is really, really weird but I do not recall ever going to The Black Knight.  I have been in Wayne thousands of times and I do not even know where it is.  Or if it still exists.  And Grandma has mentioned it more than once in her journal so far.  She seemed to go only when company was in town.  We Winsiders didn't just get up and go out to eat much when I was still living at home so maybe I have not been there and am not just forgetting.

Aunt Irene must have been okay since I peeked forward and did not see any more reference of her fall.

Since I am drawing a blank on what else to yak about, here's a summary of comments since I last commented on comments:

Uncle Ray was 93 years old when he died.  Coincidentally, that is the same age Grandpa and Grandma were when they died.  Grandma Anna was three months shy of her 93rd birthday.

I did not make a spelling error in my post about being born knowing how to spell, but as Mom happily pointed out, I did make an error in grammar.  I swear, however, it was a typo in that I had the sentence phrased one way and then went back to edit and missed all the necessary changes.  Truly.  So proofreading has now fallen out of the top five on the list of my talents.

Mom also commented on how much her grandkids loooooved the beads that Dane and Kyleah are fighting over in the one picture.  I remember that, too.  The beads were quite the stylish kitchen window treatment when we moved in to the house.  After awhile they were retired and curtains were put up.  For some reason Mom saved the beads (the grandkids were a long ways off yet).  And they were played with and toted around and fought over (more than once probably).  Who would have guessed?  I think my kids had me grab a strand or two when we were cleaning out Mom's house to sell.

Our ancestor, Karen Pedersen's name was pronounced "Karn".  Must be the Danish was of saying it.

Mom (my most frequent commenter) weighed in on The Golden Child phenomenon and had nothing to say that put that title in question.  She remembers Dane was less than a year old when he first came to stay the weekend.  She admits to being a bit concerned as to how it would all go.  But on that visit, as well as the ones that followed, he always had a grand time and never cried for his parents or probably for any other reason. 

And I was right -- Grandpa grew his beard for Old Settler's.  Winside was celebrating its 75th year.  He still had it when they went to California to visit us.  I didn't recognize him and hid behind Mom's skirt.

Since I have posted silly photos of other people, I thought it only right to post a goofy one of myself.  I call this work of art "Looney".  I am pretty sure it was taken in the late 1980's.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the Black Knight was the place to go to eat in Wayne. They had really good food. I'm sure that Mom usually had shrimp and Daddy probably had a steak. It was on Main Street on the corner south of the Gay Theater. (The name of the theater has been changed for obvious reasons.) But it no longer is there. There was a fire. I can't remember if they tore the whole thing down and put up a new building or managed to salvage the shell. However, the building was never used as a restaurant again. I think now it is occuped by Viero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember going to the Black Knight to eat. Mom thought it was a real treat to eat there. Always seemed to be very busy.

    I would like to mention one time that Kyleah stayed at my place overngiht all by herself. She was doing real good but as it got later she wanted to know when she could go home. I told her I would take her home in the morning. Well she woke me up by sayind that the sun was ON now so could I take her home. The only other time she stayed overnight with me Dane was along.

    ReplyDelete