Thursday, March 8, 2012

Scrabble!

"September 17, 1990:  Greta, Irene, Helen and I visited Verna D. in Stanton in p.m.
September 21, 1990:  Helen and I played Scrabble with Irene."

I read somewhere that the ability to spell is possibly hereditary.  If so, I think I may have gotten my spelling ability that way.  I rarely had to study for spelling tests at school.  I used to be better, though.  I am guessing there are some spelling errors somewhere in this blog that people has [It's a typo! I knew not to word it that way!] been too polite to point out; some could be typing errors, I would like to point out.  Anyway, Grandma was a Scrabble diva.  (Not that you have to be able to spell to play; you can use a dictionary, but it just makes it easier if you can spell fairly well.)  She didn't win every time but she played really well and had lots of fun with it,  I think there were some Scrabble marathon days with several games played.  I wonder how she would have done if she had entered some tournaments.  I don't know if it was done or just discussed, but someone came up with the idea of putting the available tiles in a bag instead of wasting all that precious Scrabble time in turning them upside down.  Genius.

The article on wikipedia about Scrabble is rather interesting.  It states that roughly one-third of American homes have a Scrabble set.  And that the president of Macy's played the game on vacation and was surprised to find his store did not carry it.  He made sure that happened and things went uphill quickly from there.

This particular photo was taken way back before I could spell G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S, the word I used to describe myself that day.  Mom says Aunt Myrtle readily agreed with me.

2 comments:

  1. Can't resist this. Didn't notice any spelling errors BUT there is an error in grammar. Something else Mom was a stickler about. It should be people have been too polite, rather than people has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hereditary trait runs in my blood as well. Every time I catch a misspelling or grammar mistake, anywhere, I get a little flustered. Especially when the mistake can be seen by many people in a book, pamphlet, or billboard, etc. I always wonder, "how did nobody catch this??"

    ReplyDelete