Thursday, March 22, 2012

Almost Christmas

"December 24, 1990:  Nancy came at noon.  Irene, Helen, John, Raymond, Marina, Greta, Dorothy Jo, Nancy here for soup supper after church.  Marina and Greta went to church.  This was the first time in 40 years the four Iversen siblings had been together for Christmas." 

I know why I wasn't up home for this particular Christmas.  Baby was due on December 27, so I was well into the "no traveling" directive by the doctor.  Instead, Rick and I went to Tom and Merilyn's and had supper with them and Walt and Marilyn.  Walt said, in his often dry way, that it was more than fitting to be spending Christmas Eve with a very pregnant woman named Mary.

Hate to be slow on the uptake, but it took me a second to figure out from Grandma's post which four Iversen siblings she was talking about because I was fairly certain her kids had spent at least a few Christmases together since 1950.  I am guessing the 40 years she is talking about would have been when either Aunt Irene and/or Aunt Helen moved to California, disrupting future Christmas gatherings with their full siblings for a few decades.

Soup after church -- I knew that presents came after soup, and I know I was more than likely annoying in a kid's "excited for Christmas presents way" once we were at the house.  But I don't recall being overly antsy and impatient at church.  I loved the carol singing with the lights out and the candles lit even when I was relatively young.

Here is a photo of Dale and I in 1966.  Mom can correct me, but I am thinking we lived in California at the time.  A bit ironic, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment