Sunday, March 4, 2012

The First Greatgrand and a Sunday recipe


"August 8, 1990:  Women of ELCA meeting.
August 10, 1990:  Nancy and Dane came in the evening.
August 11, 1990:  Nancy and I had Dane here all day.  Visited with Helen and John in evening.  Greta and Lester were in Grand Island and came after Dane about 10:30."

Such fun was had when Dane went to Winside.  Actually, just the trip up was often entertaining for Nancy, let alone the trip back.  She can tell tales of messy eating and law enforcement and I-forget-what-else.   Dane was around two years old in 1990 when Grandma wrote those entries, but I like the photo and wanted to use it. 

Dane got to be the only greatgrand for a while, but was rather gracious as the younger ones came along.  Didn't seem to mind at all.  I, however, had a hormonal meltdown when I heard his younger sister was on the way.  I was expecting my own little piece of the spotlight* and here, the parents of Dane (a/k/a The Golden Child*) were going to produce another perfectly awesome child* less than a month later.  Of course my hormones over-reacted for no reason at all, there were plenty of ooos and aaahs and attention to go around; no one was neglected or anything like that.  Hormones can be funny things.

I haven't made this recipe in ages, but I think I need to find a reason to do so very soon.  These sandwiches are absolutely yummy.

Cheese Spread

1 c. evaporated milk
2 T. flour
2 T. sugar
2 T. vinegar
1 t. salt
3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, diced
2 T. pimento
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced

Cook the milk, flour, sugar, vinegar and salt together until thick.  Add the Velveeta and cook slowly until melted.  Stir in the pimento and eggs.  (My directions don't spell it out, but I am guessing maybe the first several ingredients should be prepared like a white sauce -- told you it has been a while!)  The eggs should be diced fairly fine, but the stirring rather helps with that, too.

*You guys know which one you are and also know that I love you all bunches!

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if I am adding to the "Golden Child" legend or what, but it was so much fun when Dane came up with Nancy. He was never afraid and never whined for his Mom and Dad. The first time he stayed for a weekend he wasn't even a year old yet and I was a bit apprehensive how it all would work out. But everything was fine. Didn't cry or fuss at all. For various reasons I don't think any of the other three were there on a solo trip. I wish that wasn't the case.

    ReplyDelete