Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Centennial

July 20 - 22, 1990:  Centennial.  Nancy came Thursday night.  Tom and Merilyn came Thursday night and stayed with Ted L.'s at Norfolk.  Ray and Aileen here Friday and Saturday -- stayed at Norfolk motel.  Bill, Jenny, Jayme came for Saturday and Sunday, spent the night at Helen's.  Dale's just in Winside on Saturday.

Hmmm.  I am not sure what to think about this one.  I happen to know that Rick and I also made it up for the centennial.  Either Grandma forgot to note that or . . . we didn't make it up to say hello.  I suppose either is equally possible, but I would like to think she forgot us.  I am sure we would have at the very least said hello during or after the alumni banquet.  But it was a huge affair up at the school gym, not in the auditorium downtown like usual.  So, dunno.  My 10 year class reunion got somewhat gobbled up by the centennial celebration, but that's fine.  Tom once told me that reunions after the 20th are more fun than the 10th.  At ten years, you and your classmates are still a bit busy trying to impress with what you drive or where you work or where you live.  However, by 20 years and beyond nobody really cares anymore.

I should have gone on a bit more about family 4th of July picnics in my earlier post.  They are always great fun with lots of fireworks and food and visiting and kids running around.  My favorite foods from our gatherings would be fresh raspberries (from Aunt Myrtle), new potatoes (from anybody) and cream pie (again, I don't care who makes it).  The first picnics I can remember were at Uncle Elmer and Aunt Myrtle's place, then they moved to Leonard and Dorothy Jo's and then to Ramon and Linda's.  It's always a good time, but I certainly miss those of our hosts and hostesses that aren't with us anymore.  Oh, and can't forget Ramon's dog who liked to run at the fireworks instead of away from them.  Such a kick in the pants!

The photo is probably from a previous Old Settler's.  I believe Grandpa grew a beard to enter a contest.  Look how dark his tan is -- I remember those days.

2 comments:

  1. I think this picture of Daddy with his beard is from Winside's 75 year celebration. He still had it when they came out to see us in Fair Oaks. Mary was scared of him when she first saw it. Hid behind my skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind I KNEW this was a picture of grandpa, but part of me was unsure due to the beard. I hope I can grow one as impressive as that one day.

    ReplyDelete