Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chopping wood

"February 13, 1990:  Nancy met Tom and Merilyn at airport at 9:30 p.m.  They were late because of snow in Denver.

February 14, 1990:  Tom took me home.  He took a load of wood back to Lincoln for Nancy and him."

Snow in Denver in February?  Sounds familiar as they are getting walloped this February in 2012 and the snow is coming our way.

There was probably always wood to be taken back to Lincoln.  Or to anywhere.  I think Grandpa sold some of it, but I think he gave lots away, too.  He was a wood chopping machine.  I will have to find one of the photos of his wood pile, well actually wall of wood -- neatly stacked in a long, thick wall.  I remember Tom and I watching Grandpa split a log or two one day.  It was well past Grandpa's cancer diagnosis and I recall he was to the point where he didn't look well anymore or at the very least one could tell he didn't feel well.  But we were all roaming around outside and Grandpa put a log on the stump he used for splitting logs and in about three or four whacks, he had it split.  I used to remember Tom's exact words, but it was kinda quiet between he and I and he said something like, "I'll be damned."  It probably took a lot out of Grandpa to do that, but I suppose he maybe felt a need to do something normal since life in general was rather abnormal at that time.

The photo above has nothing to do with anything, really.  I just found it and liked it.  It was taken in Fremont when a bunch of us went to ride on the train to Hooper.  Taken between 1987 and 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment