Thursday, February 16, 2012

Graduations and more Aunt Irene

"May 19, 1990:  Greta, Irene and I went with Dorothy Jo to Stanton in the evening for a barbeque for Teresa's graduation.
May 20, 1990:  Greta and I were at Rodney's for Doree's graduation reception -- then took Irene and went to Carol and Bernie's for Jeff's reception."

Wow. That's the third graduation for the season so far.  See what I mean about the other kids being too far apart from me in age for me to play with?  Heck, these kids weren't born yet when I was drilling holes in the floor!

I went looking for more Aunt Irene stuff since I felt my little bit yesterday just wasn't enough.  I found out that she lived three miles from the first school she taught at and so had a six-mile round trip walk each school day.  In addition to teaching, she did all the janitorial work at the school, started the stoves in the morning, thawed out the water pump and had to deal not only with students older than herself, but also with the clashes between the Scandinavian and German kids.  One time she was well on her way back home and happened to turn and look back at the school.  The flag was still on the flagpole, so she had to walk all the way back and take the flag in and then start for home again.  She apparently was a very good teacher -- and I have no trouble believing that -- because for three years between 1920 and 1929, she was the highest paid rural teacher in the county.  Nice!

I need to scan more photos because once again I have one that doesn't have anything to do with my current post.  But like the others, it's a photo that I like -- people I love sharing a laugh together.  Doesn't get much better than that.  Oh, and thanks to all who have left comments.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment