Monday, February 27, 2012

Oops on the 4th of July

"July 4, 1990:  Picnic at Dorothy Jo's.  None of [the] Lincolnites or Bill's came.
July 5 and 6, 1990:  Bound the quilt.
July 7, 1990:  Picture taken at Stop Inn of all the quilters with the quilt."

I don't remember at all how it happened that none of the Lincolnites or Bill's went to the annual 4th picnic this particular year.  It had been a family tradition for decades.  I thought Grandma said it started -- a family picnic on the 4th itself -- around the time she and Grandpa got married.  In 1990 that would have been over 50 years.  It was mostly unsaid, but still important to Grandma that there be a good showing so the tradition would continue.  As for myself, I was pregnant for this 4th, but not THAT pregnant.  Several of us came up later in the month for the centennial, so maybe that is why we skipped the 4th.

I guess the centennial quilt was not quite finished as Grandma and I reported yesterday, but the bulk of it was done and binding is a one-person job anyway.

Ah, the Stop Inn.  That is where in 1980 I unknowingly gave Kim mono.  I wasn't yet showing symptoms but was contagious.  Kim and I always shared a pop when we played pinball after school.  Guess that would be another oops.

The photo was very likely taken during a 4th of July picnic.  I think there was an impromptu tour of Dorothy Jo's flowers going on.  That's Grandma, Johanna, Dora and Dorothy Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment