Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A different sort of quilt

"July 12, 1990:  Helen, John, Irene, Raymond and Marina here in p.m.  Ladies played King's Wild.  Greta here and the others for supper.
July 19, 1990:  Put Mary's baby quilt in the frame.
July 18, 1990:  Norris, Vicky, Dawn and Ann here in p.m."

Nevermind the cards or the company -- in between all the visitors and upcoming centennial celebration, Grandma found time to put my baby's quilt in the frame!  Awww.  It is a baby-sized quilt, but still.  Mitch used it when he was little, but it didn't become a drag-behind blanket for him so it is still in great shape.  He is off living on his own now, but I have the quilt for safekeeping.  I will give it to him one day.

I found a couple of boxes of photos and briefly sorted through some before work yesterday.  Then I looked at those I thought I might use for this blog a little more closely and got a bit emotional.  There is one of Grandma at her last birthday party and one at the last alumni banquet she went to.  She looks so happy and healthy in both photos.  The realization that she died less than a year after they were taken caught me off-guard and I had to blink fast there for awhile.  To counteract that sadness, I picked a photo for today that makes me smile -- Grandpa and Mitch, apparently sharing a laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Oy, even I got a little teary by the end of this post.

    ReplyDelete