Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy 100th birthday!

"February 11, 1990:  Nancy and I went to Rick and Mary's for a 10:30 brunch.  Dale and Dane came, too.  Lynn wasn't feeling well.  In p.m. Mary, Nancy and I went to movies -- saw "Driving Miss Daisy" -- a wonderful show."

I agree, "Driving Miss Daisy" is a wonderful show.  It was on just this last weekend and I watched most of it. 

Today is Grandma's 100th birthday.  I would have loved to have had a party today for the occasion with Grandma here to enjoy it.

Also born 100 years ago this year were Millvina Dean who would survive the sinking of the Titanic a few months later, Danny Thomas, Eva Braun, Pat Nixon, Foster Brooks, Woodie Guthrie, Art Linkletter, Gene Kelly, Lady Bird Johnson and Ben Hogan.  Two who died that year were Clara Barton and James Herman, our 27th vice president.

I had to include the vice president reference.  Grandma was very fond of lists and data.  When she couldn't sleep, she would recite the presidents in the order they served, and then alphabetically, and then the vice presidents sorted the same two ways.  She also knew all the counties in Nebraska and could recite a few poems by heart as well.  I must admit I did a well-received recitation of "The Cremation of Sam McGee" at the office Christmas party.  I heard of that piece from . . . Grandma. 

3 comments:

  1. I wish she could be here to and we would have a great party. I remember the one we had at Pioneer House for her. That was a great day. I don't believe I have ever seen those pictures before. Was Mom skipping rope?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish she could be here. Miss her a lot. I don't know how many times I hear about something or somebody and think "Oh, I have to tell Mom!" I don't know when the picture of Mom skipping rope was taken, but the other one was taken in 1962. Probably in June. Just so everyone knows, the baby in the picture is Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see the other picture that included Dale until after I commented on the other two. I'm guessing that this one was taken in 1968. I am pretty sure that Carol Craven fixed our hair. As a proud Mama I think Dale and Mary are really cute in this.

    ReplyDelete