Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quilting, quilting and more quilting

"June 25, 1990:  Arlene R., Lila, Rose, Lois and I quilted.
June 26, 1990:  Arlene R., Lila, Rose, Bertha and I quilted.
June 27, 1990:  Arlene P., Lois, Ella M., Leona B. and I quilted.
On Tuesday, Irene D. and Ruby R. brought two plates of cookies and a coffee cake for our lunch."

Wow!  I wonder how many yards of thread those ladies went through.  What did they talk about during all of that quilting?  The quilt in the photo is most likely not the one they were working on, but it is a nice photo of a pretty quilt, so I included it.

I believe Grandma Anna made her first quilt at age 16.  I am not sure about the age at the time of the first one for Grandma or Mom, but they have made multiple, full-sized quilts.  I however, have badly dropped the ball.  Not only have I not made a big girl quilt, the small wall-hanging quilts I have pieced were finished by Mom.  I want to say that Nancy hasn't pieced a big quilt either, but am not sure.  If not, I would like to state we are both in good company in the ball-dropping business.  But boy, we sure do appreciate a good quilt!

2 comments:

  1. I think Mom called this quilt a Brick Quilt.
    She liked this one because you didn't have to match a lot of seams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet they were working on the Centennial quilt. Usually there weren't that many quilting at one time.

    ReplyDelete