Friday, February 10, 2012

Snow in April

"April 13, 1990:  Snow.  Tom came in p.m. and took Raymond J. to Lincoln.  Raymond left by plane Saturday morning at 7:00.
Saturday:  Bill and Jayme came in p.m.  Bill brought the table of Dora's from Fremont."

The snow must not have been too terrible what with all the driving around that went on.  The table of Dora's must have been the one that extends to a table when it normally looks like a simple chest.  If that's the one, I don't know how often Dora had a chance to use it, but it got lots of use after Grandma got hold of it.

I wish I had a history of Dora's life adventures to review.  I have the impression that she didn't let much stand in her way and had a grand time of it.  I loved to hear her tell stories (how many storytellers do we have in the family anyway?  I seem to mention stories often) and especially liked it when she brought a new card game to the family gatherings.  There was also a very fun game with dice that she taught us, but I cannot remember what it was like anymore.  I recall it was great fun.  I have two items that Dora gave me that I treasure very much.  One is a very small blue and white Danish plate.  The other is a short, heavy clear glass vase that has an etching of a little girl on it. 

Dora is to the right in the picture.  I don't have a date, but the photo was taken at a family 4th of July gathering.

2 comments:

  1. I will also share a Dora story with you. It was at the annual Cousin Christmas that we used to have. Dora had taken the bus to Norfolk. I believe we had the Christmas gathering at Lois and Garylord's house. It was getting time for her to catch her bus back to Fremont and Daddy kept stalling about getting her to the depot. Dora was getting pretty nervous and finally Daddy said that he and Mom would drive her back to Fremont. They had such a great time looking at the Christmas lights on the way back and what a good time they must have had visiting. Dora never forgot how kind that was of Daddy to make it a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify for the younger family members - Dora was Daddy's cousin. Her mother (Aunt Kate) and Daddy's mother were sisters.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete