Friday, February 24, 2012

Californians ignored

"June 27, 1990:  Temperatures in the 90's -- was very humid.
June 28, 1990:  Quilted.  Arlene R., Rose, Arlene P., Lila and I.
June 29, 1990:  Raymond and Marina arrived about 10:30.  Played Pinochle at Elta J.'s.  Went to Greta's in evening for her birthday."

Well, my goodness.  Uncle Raymond and Aunt Marina came to visit and Grandma went off playing cards.  Honestly, I am sure they were not ignored, but the way Grandma wrote it made me laugh; guests got here, I went off without them.

Uncle Raymond was born in 1913 and so will be 99 years young this year.  It was always fun when he and Aunt Marina came to visit.  They married when Uncle Raymond was 75 years old and always seemed to me to be a great couple.  Lots of laughs and smiles and loving words.  I did not know Uncle Raymond's first wife, Aunt Ramona very well since they lived in California and she died when I was 14.

Uncle Raymond failed his first physical to enlist in the Army in WWII and then as if the Army knew something no one else did, he got very sick shortly thereafter and would have been somewhat useless to the Army anyway.  Later, he was drafted and did pass his physical.  He served in Europe and was back in the states getting ready for an invasion of Japan when the war ended.

One really can't talk about Uncle Raymond and not mention his flowers.  He grew huge, beautiful flowers.  He would take pictures of them, and photographs simply don't do some subjects justice, flowers being one of them in my opinion.  But when one does show a magnificent bloom like Uncle Raymond's photos did, that just means the real thing was even better.

Look at all the smiles in my photo here.  Well, maybe not Dane so much but Mom and Lester and Uncle Raymond and Aunt Marina are having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment