Sunday, April 1, 2012

Story of Grandma, Part I

I will leave 1991 for a little while since it turns out one of Grandma's notebooks has 14 handwritten pages of her recording certain memories and events of her life.  I won't put all 14 pages in one post, but will start and stop where it seems natural and will post all over six or seven posts.  Or whatever it turns out to be.  Some of the handwriting is a little rough when it comes to names I am not familiar with, so I ask your forgiveness for any goofs.

On Feb. 1, 1911 William Andersen, Anna Brogren, Chris Andersen and Emma Brogren rode the train to Wayne.  William and Anna were married by the County Judge.  Uncle Chris and Tanta Emma were their attendants.

Mama and Papa went by train on their wedding trip.  I'm not sure if they stopped in Washington County to see Papa's cousins or if they also went to Iowa to see some of Mom's relatives.  I do know they went to Holyrood, Kansas to visit Grussmother's sister, Martha Simpson and family.  On their return to Winside they stopped in Omaha and bought the "talking machine."

They moved in with Grussmother and Grussfather on the farm where Rod Brogren's live now.  Grussfather had a sale and Papa took over the farming operation.

I was born Feb. 3, 1912.  That September Grussmother and Grussfather moved into their new house in Winside.

I'm not sure when my folks moved to town.  Papa and Uncle Chris Andersen had bought the garage from the Gabler brothers.  We probably moved during February of 1917.  At that time it was customary for farmers to move Mar. 1.  We would have to have been away from there by that time for the new renter to move in.  I have no idea when or if Papa had a sale or who the new renter might have been.

I started school in Winside.  At that time there was no Kindergarten but there was an A Class which must have been the same.  After A Class was 1st grade.  My teacher was Josephine Carter.  We used slates and slate pencils at first.  I don't know when we graduated to pencils and paper.

Miss Carter had A Class, 1st and 2nd grades.  Myrtle Leary was 3rd and 4th grade, Bess Leary 5th and 6th grade and Gladys Mettler 7th and 8th grades.  I remember that when I was in A class the weather evidently worsened in the morning because Papa brought lunch to school for me.  What a treat to eat at school at noon!

I will leave it there until tomorrow.  Grandma talks more about her Papa.  No recipe and no photo today.

2 comments:

  1. Of Mom's teachers I think it is interesting that Bess Leary was still alive and well when I started working at the bank in 1971. Also Gladys Mettlen (not Mettler) was one of my teachers in high school and later was the County School Superintendent when I started teaching school. In those olden days one of the Superintendent's jobs was to visit each rural school at least once a year. Might even have been twice a year. Anyway it was a little nerve wracking because you never knew when she would show up so you had to make sure everything was neat and in order when she came.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information to have. I find it interesting that Mom called her father Papa and us kids called our father Daddy. I also had Gladys (Mettlen) Porter for a teacher in high school.

    ReplyDelete