Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Downs and an up

"April 8, 1991:  Raymond and Marina went home.
April 14, 1991:  Frank Weible and Marina's daughter died.
April 17, 1991:  Nancy, Tom and Merilyn flew to Raymond's.
April 21, 1991:  Kyleah baptized at Omaha church.  Greta and I went down to Lincoln on Sunday."

We have a bit of the circle of life, or time marches on, or something like that in just a few entries here.  I do remember going to Kyleah's baptism, I am happy to report.  I do not recall the meal or reception or party afterwards, however.

Here's a photo of Grandma Anna's parents sitting in front of the house they built.  Grandma told me how her grandmother stayed behind while her husband came to the United States.  She traveled in steerage (which was not pleasant) with three kids, I think.  And after she was here, she lived in not one, but two brand new houses.  What a country!  I have never lived in a brand new house.  Her grandmother had input in to the design of the house and was responsible for that wicked turn on the stairs to the upstairs.  She had a good reason, though -- she did not want people having to come down with their chamber pot and enter into the living room as that was not proper if there was company.  So, she turned the stairs 90 degrees so chamber pots could make a quick turn and go out the back door.  If I recall, the dining room and living room were separated by more of a wall than they are currently and it makes even better sense if that was the case.

I wonder how she liked living on the Great Plains after having lived on an island, and a rather small island at that.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite entries so far, as well as picture. It is so cool to see THE house right behind them. And to have it be Granmda Anna's PARENTS sitting in front of it. Gives me good goosebumps followed by great memories in that house. Since I spent most my time in that house as a young tike I always thought that staircase was the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and is a chamber pot the "toilet"? From the way it sounds that's what I'm guessing, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

    ReplyDelete