Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Painting

"June 29, 1991:  Greta had supper at her place for her birthday.
June 30, 1991:  Went to Lincoln.  Nancy took me to Pastor and Mrs. Wallace Wolff's 50th wedding anniversary celebration.
July 3, 1991:  Painted the back porch floor and the back steps."

No disrespect to the "older" people reading this, but I certainly hope I am in good enough shape when I am 79 years old to get down on the floor and paint it.  That being said, Grandma doesn't give me much to work with here.  She doesn't mention who was at Mom's for her birthday, so I don't know if I was there or not.  I am thinking not since the big family reunion was coming up in a few days. 

Poor Mom -- her birthday often got and gets gobbled up by the 4th of July.  Which gives me a great segue for the photo here.  I have been told the baby is Mom.  And by my powers of deduction, I have decided for now and for always that the photo was taken at the family 4th of July picnic.  My "proof":  1.  Grandma is dressed very nicely and Grandpa isn't wearing work clothes.  2.  Mom looks very teeny and she would have been less than a week old on that particular 4th.  3.  Plus, there is someone standing around taking a photograph, so it must have been a family event, right? 

I love the look of this picture.  Put it with a bunch of other photos of that era and it just jumps out.  It may have just been the timing of the shutter, but Grandma is holding Mom a bit gingerly, a bit unsure it seems.  I like to think Grandpa is looking around, protective of his new babe and her mother.  But then again, maybe he was scoping around to find someone to bring him a beer.  Regardless, it's a great frozen moment.

1 comment:

  1. I do love this picture too. But after thinking about it I doubt that it would have been on the 4th of July because back in the "olden" days when I was born I think women stayed in bed for about 10 days after giving birth.

    ReplyDelete