Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dora's birthday

"August 24, 1991:  Went to see Irene in p.m.
August 28, 1991:  Helen, John, Howard and I went to Fremont to see Dora on her 93rd birthday.
September 2, 1991:  Martha, Edwin and Dorothy were here."

I know the title is about Dora, but I've picked a photo of Aunt Irene by one of Uncle Raymond's homegrown wonders.  I don't know if Aunt Irene is holding a normal-sized version of the same cactus or what, but the one against the wall is a monster.  Looks like it rather had a mind of its own as far as wanting to grow straight or not.  Other pictures taken at this same time are of Aunt Irene packing up to move -- I am guessing it was for the move back to Nebraska.

We sure do come from good stock when it comes to longevity, as evidenced here with Dora reaching 93 years young and Uncle Raymond just now turning 99.  And since we all seem to be pretty healthy at the same time, it's a good thing in my opinion.  Even when I was much younger I was taken aback by people saying that someone who died in their 70's had lived a good long life.  In my realm of personal experience, long equals 90 or better.  I had a genealogy researcher question my birth and death dates for Grandpa Wiseman because "people just didn't live to be that old back then".  I guess he has had a different realm of personal experience, so I tried not to be too insulted by his challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment