Thursday, April 5, 2012

Story of Grandma, Part 5

Without further ado, here we go.


The summer after the third year of teaching I went to Summer School to renew my certificate.  Alma Lautenbaugh and I roomed at Uncle Chris's.  The next two years I taught 21 North which was 2 miles east and 1 mile north of Winside.

I don't remember when I first became acquainted with Howard.  Mom said it happened many years ago.  Mom, Papa, Ray and I were at a barn dance.  As we came onto the haymow a boy kept going back and forth in front of me.  Turned out it was Pete Iversen's boy Howard!!  Of course I don't remember that.

I think we became acquainted at Dane dances and "Party dances".  Alma and I were quite friendly then -- Howard asked why I didn't join the Rebekah Lodge.  Since Alma was a member it followed and then I joined.

He asked me for our first date at lodge as all were leaving.  The Carroll lodge had invited the Winside group to a meeting.  I said "Yes" and the rest is history.

While teaching at 28 North I boarded with Walter Goodlings the first year and Florenz Niemans the second year.


The summer of 1934 was a trip to western Nebraska and Colorado.  Ray, Bill Brogren, Grandma Ruschman were in one car and I was with Hans Brogren in his car.  The "boys" were going for the wheat harvest.  They went to Art & Emilie Holts.  I stayed there a few days and then took a bus to Pueblo, Colorado to visit Uncle Jim, Aunt Nan and family.

When the wheat harvest was over Mom went by bus to Sidney.  Ray met her there and she spent a few days visiting with Art and Emelia.  Then they (Ray and Mom) drove to Pueblo.  Uncle Jim had worked at a smelter.  We took a tour of the process -- saw where the ore was melted -- molten iron ore poured into large kettles then into molds and down the line to the room where nails, etc. were made.  It was a fascinating experience.

I am sorry to report that is it for this somewhat short post and also that tomorrow's post will be the last of this particular story.  But who knows?  I may find other treasures that Grandma left behind.  And someone tell me -- who is Grandma Ruschman?

1 comment:

  1. I think the "Grandma" in Grandma Ruschman was an honorary title. We used to call friends of Grandma Anna "Aunt". Mrs. etc. was too formal and you certainly didn't call them by their first name. Hence Rosie Hoffman was Aunt Rosie and Charlie and Mary Reese were Uncle Charlie and Aunt Mary.

    ReplyDelete