Monday, April 23, 2012

Going to the doctor

"August 19, 1991:  New shock absorbers put on Pontiac.
August 20, 1991:  John and Helen took us to Pierce to Dr. Voss.  Howard's blood pressure okay.
August 23, 1991:  Pinochle at Elsie J.'s.  Nancy and Dane came in evening."

Grandma could just as well have said there were new shock absorbers put on the land yacht and I would have known what she meant.  That car wasn't that bad, I guess, but I remember trying to park it even as an experienced driver and heading for the middle of three empty parking spots just to be sure.

I used to get to go to the doctor in Pierce, too.  Dr. Becker came off as a grumpy ol' bear, but I liked him.  I still can't believe I didn't ask him to save my tonsils for me to see, not keep, when he took them out.  I think I was so nervous about getting an i.v. that I wasn't focused.

Dr. Becker was the doctor that nearly strangled me when I had mono.  My tonsils were already practically pushing themselves out of the top of my head and he comes at me with his big strong hands to feel my neck.  I thought I'd choke to death right there.  But instead, on the third needle of the day when the nurse made me stand up to get a shot in my "hip area", a/k/a my behind, I went stiff as a board and fell on her in a dead faint.  Seemed only fair somehow.

I think I had my hair in my infamous Hamil cut then, but this photo is probably not too far off in time from those wonderful memories in Pierce.  I can tell from this photo why people say Mom and I look alike, but it's really the hair more than anything.  We used to stand together in front of the mirror to try to see the resemblence, but never really could.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling the nurse that you had a tendancy to pass out when you got a shot. But nobody believed you. It was really kind of funny to see her down on her haunches giving you the shot and trying to keep you from falling on her. I guess they believed you after that.

    ReplyDelete