Friday, April 27, 2012

Wilva's

"September 17, 1991:  Got a permanent.
September 18, 1991:  Busy Bees ate at Beckers.  Some of us stopped to visit Irene afterwards.
September 19, 1991:  Froze during the night."

I am hoping (and darn certain) that Grandma meant the temperatures were low overnight, not that she was cold and shivering herself.

I don't know that Grandma got her permanent at Wilva's, but it's a good guess.  I remember tagging along when I was small.  Her beauty shop was in her home, which I thought was pretty cool, not knowing that it was a common thing to do.  Wilva was always so nice and pleasant when she addressed me. 

I didn't really notice it until it was gone, but there was a tree in her yard that ended up as a totem pole in the park.  I don't know which came first, the need to remove a tree or the desire to carve a totem pole.  But, the tree was cut down and the last I knew the totem pole was still in the city park.  It must have been a very straight tree or very big around that they were able to harvest a straight section from the middle.  I don't recall the occasion for the totem pole and maybe there wasn't a special reason to have one. 

The city park, as in most towns, is a bit of a fixture.  I recall Easter egg hunts there and band concerts and homecoming skits and just going to play and get dizzy on the one particular "ride."  It was just a big metal circle ala merry-go-round with metal handles to hang on to so the centrifugal force didn't pitch you off and in the dirt.  And that was a legitimate threat since we had some good pushers that could get that thing really moving.  The handles were like spokes, but had a good shape to them.  You could sit kinda high on the handles on the outside edge and there were low arches near the middle so that you would lay down on your back and poke your head through the arch.  Like a crochet ball in a wicket.  Sounds a bit strange, maybe, but we had fun.

And since Grandma mentioned Aunt Irene, here's a photo of her with some bank friends in California.  Wilva didn't do it, but I like her permanent.  And the great flower.

Totally unrelated, but I must post here that I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday.  A lady called to her young daughter that was getting in to a bit of mischief.  The little girl's name was Hazel.  Adorable.

1 comment:

  1. The totem pole was made for the Centennial. I know that Warren Gallop helped with the carving. I guess there is or was a wood carving group in the area. Never had heard of its exiestence before that. So I am kind of assuming that the totem pole was Warren's idea.

    ReplyDelete