Sunday, April 22, 2012

Johanna

"August 5, 1991:  Started cutting pieces for Jayson's quilt.
August 7, 1991:  After long dry spell we had an inch of rain.
August 8, 1991:  Went to Johanna's for her birthday, 96th.
August 9, 1991:  Pinochle at Laura J.'s."

I think that every dictionary, until they don't make print dictonaries anymore, should have a picture of Johanna under the entry "little old lady."  She was one of the cutest little, and I mean little, old ladies ever.  She was cute and sweet and quick to smile.  She kept her house as neat as a pin and dirt and dust were not allowed in.  During a particular cleaning, she took a ladder around the inside of her house and wiped the ceilings.  Someone asked her how she could tell where she had been, knowing that there was no way the ceilings could have been dirty.  Johanna told them matter-of-factly that she knew where she had had the ladder.  I still have a patchword pillow she made for me.

Of course, I don't have a fabulous photo of Johanna available.  But there was the one of her from far away walking with the other ladies at Dorothy Jo's that I posted a little bit ago.  So, on a post where Grandma is talking about a dry spell in the hot month of August, I have selected a photo of Michel and I playing in the snow.  Why not, right?  And I guess it is a teensy bit appropriate since Michele lived pretty close to Johanna's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment