Sunday, April 29, 2012

End of flower-growing season

"September 26, 1991:  TOPS ARD at Hartington.  Kris drove -- Greta, Carol and I went along.  Mary, Rick and Nancy came in p.m.
September 29, 1991:  Nancy cleaned the flower beds for me."

Hmmm.  I would bet the farm that Mitch came along, too.  I don't recall ever leaving him in Lincoln when we went to Winside.  In fact, I think we might have been turned away to go back and get him if we did.

I am glad it is "play in the dirt" season.  I need to work on my own flower beds.  There is something wholly fulfilling about messing in the dirt whether it is planting new stuff or cleaning up the flowers that are done for the year.  I don't know that everyone necessarily feels that way but I given what I know about others in the family that came before me, I come by my pleasure in dirt naturally.

Here's a photo of four generations of dirt diggers with some tulips in the background as a way of proof.  Sorry, but I didn't have a shot of Nancy nearby to accomplish the same message.  Looks like it was Easter or Mothers' Day.  I wonder who took the photo.  Maybe Nancy was around; I never remember seeing Grandpa with a camera in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment