Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Stop Inn and catching up on comments

"May 17, 1991:  Pinochle at Ella M.'s.
May 18, 1991:  Dinner at the Stop Inn for Ella B.'s birthday.
May 22, 1991:  Lila took me to Wakefield in a.m. to buy flower plants.  In p.m. Margaret K. and her nephew from Montana came to visit."

The Stop Inn was the place to be if you were in high school.  Especially if you didn't drive yet and/or you didn't feel like driving around.  Michele worked there for a while as I recall.  It is the place where I gave one Kim L. mono because we played pinball and shared a pop often after school.  This also started a small mono epidemic at school.  The other Kim L. and I fell into a pool match with some older guys from out of town that we didn't know.  Due largely to Kim's skill we managed to beat them, much to their surprise.  Interesting how Kim continues to play pool and has gone to tournaments around the U.S. and does pretty well for herself.  She met her husband playing pool.  In short, I have fond memories of hanging out at the Stop Inn.

As for comments since the last time I commented on comments -- in fairness to Kyleah, there were photos taken very close in time to the one where she is pouty and unhappy and she was having a great time.

We are obviously a very hard-hearted family since we did go ahead with the meal where the three guests of honor couldn't make it.  But, I guess if everything was ready to go . . .

Both Mom and Nancy recalled that some of Grandma's teachers were also their teachers.  Mom noted one was alive and well when she started at the bank in 1971.  They sure grow healthy people up there in God's country.

There seems to be quite a bit of surprise and regret that more questions weren't asked about Grandma's father when there were people alive that could answer them.  I must admit I didn't ask any, but I am sure that is because I was following others' lead.  I do need to find and post his obituary.  I found it in the Winside Journal and it is from the days when they did more than just report the bare facts.

There was no "Grandma" Ruschman.  Mom says it was an honorary title give to Grandma Anna's friends since Mrs. was too formal and kids just didn't call such folks by their first name.  I am relieved to hear this; I would have been blown away if we had some other relatives that I didn't know about or completely forgot.

Mom made a good point; seeing the Capitol while it was under construction might have been why Grandma was so tickled to be able to see it from her place at Pioneer House.

Radish sandwiches are bread, butter, sliced radishes and salt.  I will trust those that say they are delicious.  I will have to develop an appreciation for the taste of radishes before I can test the theory.

Mitch remembers "helping" in the garden by breaking up dirt clumps -- a fine, fine job for a little boy to have to do.  He also remembers eating veggies right off the vine, an experience all kids should have in my opinion.

He also commented that it is always nice to see photos of Grandma without Maude around. 

He is also enjoying the photos of "THE house".  I must admit I'm loving the one with Grussmother and Grussfather outside at the corner of the house.  For some reason it just struck me, in my "wish I was there then" mode, that there they are sitting in a spot that I have walked and ran over numerous times.  Why it struck me that way since I have also spent thousands of hours in the house they lived in, I don't know, but it did.  Mitch seems to have thought something along those same lines.  In his words, the staircase (since he didn't have to haul things up and down it much) and its sharp turn was "the bee's knees".  I am proud to say he correctly guessed what a chamber pot was.

And speaking of the house, I agree that it is neat that Tom has the porch columns and is keeping them safe and sound.  I am sure he will alert us if he is tired of having them.

Speaking of Mitch and the garden, the photo obviously shows he and Anna by some very bodacious cabbages.  I am guessing no one took a bite out of them right then and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment