Friday, April 20, 2012

Tastees

"July 10 and 11, 1991:  We quilting ladies tied a comforter for WELCA here at my house.
July 12, 1991:  Pinochle Club here.
July 14, 1991:  Raymond and Marina went home.  Louie and Verna visited here in p.m."

Louie was a cousin of Grandma's and since that bunch of the family didn't get together much when I was a kid, I only knew Louie from the Tastee Treet he owned and ran in Norfolk.  I remember going there as a kid and I always got a big smile from Louie.  He is gone now, but I was pleased to learn some time ago from Mom that not only is the Tastee Treet still a going concern, but Louie's son is running the place.  Mom and I happened to be in Norfolk a couple of months ago and we stopped in for lunch.  I think we spent less than nine dollars for two tastee meals and drinks -- we agreed we were really cheap dates that day and the food was really good as expected.  The place definitely has an old, unremodeled feel to it, which is just fine with me.  There was a picture of Louie on the wall and he was smiling that big smile of his.

Of course, there is a picture of Louie and his siblings that Nancy lent me, now safely in its box but not available for me to scan and post.  I really didn't think I'd need a photo of that group.  So, I am left to come up with something wholly unrelated.  Well, not wholly unrelated since these are Brogrens.  It's a nice photo, I think.  Looking at Grussfather's hands, I would say it's obvious he used them to make a living.  Grussmother and Grandma Anna look happy and content to be taking a rest outside in the sun.  I'm liking this one more and more as I look at it.

1 comment:

  1. While looking at this picture it reminded me that Grandma, Mom and Uncle Ray always called Grussfather "Foddy". Don't know whether that was some German or Swedish title or what, but I don't recall anyone else calling him that. Hadn't thought about that in years.

    ReplyDelete