Monday, April 16, 2012

Brogren family reunion

"May 27, 1991:  Had dinner at the new Legion Hall.  Nancy went home in p.m.
May 31, 1991:  Pinochle at Leona's.
June 7 - 9, 1991:  Greta, Nancy and I went to Marie Parker's.  On Saturday to Gurley for the 2nd Brogren family reunion.  In the evening to Ronald and Dee's house.  Back home again on Sunday."

Shoot.  It is now obvious that I should have saved the family reunion photo from "yesterday" for today.  I guess it pays to read ahead, something I obviously did not do.

I remember going to western Nebraska in 1978 for some other family get-together.  I got to drive as a brand new driver to get some miles under my belt and probably didn't do so well, but neither Grandma nor Grandpa complained.  It also rained quite hard for a while but they didn't suggest we pull over and let a more experienced driver take over.  I have no idea how nervous they may have been (I know I was), but it was nice that they had confidence in me.

I know we stopped at least once to count cars on a train -- when it was not raining.  We saw several trains during the drive and counted cars when we could.  Grandpa seemed to enjoy that exercise and the trains in general.  At one point we spied a good-sized one and there was a place to pull over and really count and really admire it and as the driver I made the executive decision to do just that.  I can still somewhat picture the spot and visualize the sunny day and the three of us standing outside the car together.  A rather uneventful memory as memories go, but it was a nice one.

The photo is of my favorite Brogrens.

No comments:

Post a Comment