Friday, April 13, 2012

Miss Reichert

"May 8, 1991:  Pentecost breakfast.
May 10, 1991:  Nancy and Dane came for the weekend.
May 15, 1991:  First radishes from the garden.
May 16, 1991:  Gladys Reichert funeral."

Before I talk about Miss Reichert, I have to mention that Grandma used to eat radish sandwiches,a fact I learned from a comment on this blog.  What goes on a radish sandwich besides radishes?  I need to know this.

Miss Reichert never married and lived with her brother a block from the church.  As I kid I found that highly interesting and for some reason wanted to see inside her house; to see how an adult brother and sister lived.  Weird kid.  She was my fourth grade teacher and also my Sunday School teacher but for which grade(s), I don't remember.  I thought she was old the first time I saw her, but she most surely wasn't.  She and Grandma were good friends yet I don't remember Miss Reichert ever visiting the house while I was there.  Maybe they saw each other enough at school.

A lot of kids said they didn't like Miss Reichert.  I suppose they saw her as "old school" and inflexible but I didn't mind her.  It is because of her that I and my classmates know the words to "Beautiful Nebraska" and "Reading and Writing and 'Rithmatic" -- or whatever the real name of that song is.  I would wager most school kids in this state today don't know of "Beautiful Nebraska" at all.  It would be nice to find out I am wrong.

The picture is a great one of Grandma.  There is no year noted on the back of the photo so I don't know how old she is here, but isn't she lovely.  No wonder Grandpa wanted to take her to a dance.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing on a radish sandwich is bread, butter and a sliced radish. Does not sound good to me at all but Mom said they were great. Do you recognize the plant stand in this picture? Greta has it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also need a little salt on your radish sandwich. They ae delicious. One time Daddy had some white radishes that were quite large. I think he got the seed from Rosie Koch. Anyway they really made a good sandwich.

    ReplyDelete