Saturday, November 30, 2013

More chickens


July 9, 1931 - I cleaned the upstairs this morning.  Early to bed tonite.
July 10, 1931 - Cleaned downstairs this morning.  I went to Wayne on the train this afternoon.  I went up to the Normal and got Mildred Andersen.  We came home on the train.  Talked this evening and went to bed rather early.
July 11, 1931 - We looked at snapshots, etc.  Went down town this afternoon.  Ray, Mildred, Ralph and I went to Carroll to the dance tonite.  We didn't have such a very good time, nobody there we knew.  Ray brought home three little chickens tonite.

So is Mildred Andersen someone other than Aunt Mildred?  Grandma always calls her Aunt Mildred, but then she changes what she calls Grandma Anna in her journals, so . . .

I haven't done a Sunday recipe in ages and today isn't Sunday, but for lack of anything better to put in here, here goes.  I do not recall Grandma making this recipe, but it is in her handwriting and it sounds good.  I like to experiment on my co-workers, maybe I will give it a try some time soon.

Coconut Pound Cake

1 1/2 c. Crisco
5 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 1/2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 c. coconut

Cream Crisco and sugar 10 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition.  Sift flour, salt and baking powder together -- add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.  Blend in coconut.  Turn into a well-greased and flour tube pan (Bundt or angel food). Place in cold oven.  Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

It sounds dandy.

Speaking of baking, one of the blogs I follow asked people to submit photos or stories of their favorite "hand me down" baking or cooking item.  I immediately thought of the flour sifter of Grandma Anna's that I am lucky enough to have.  I am pretty sure I have not used any other sifter unless I was baking at someone else's house.  Not only is it a fine sifter, I think of both Grandma Anna and Grandma whenever I use it.  Grandma Anna isn't baking in the photo, but she is holding a baked good.  She looks rather pleased to have it, too.  With her in the photo is Tanta Emma and someone I cannot name.

2 comments:

  1. The lady to Grandma's left is Dora Brogren. She was the oldest of the Brogren kids. She was first married to George Staben. I think they divorced (happened before my time) and then later married Uncle Max who was Tanta Emma's husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why was Tanta Emma not married to her own husband? I see she died somewhat young, so maybe that is it.

    ReplyDelete