Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hurry up, go

 

June 12, 1931 - I ironed this morning.  R.K. and I went to Art Shelpepper's chivari dance in Hoskins.  Florence S., Ray and Esther Miller were along.  None of us had a very good time because we were too tired.  Mayme told me their school didn't have a teacher.  One of Ray's little chickens disappeared this evening.
June 13, 1931 - Mom and I took Ray's car out to Annie's to get their car.  We had Mayme go with us.  They hired Lucille Shannon last nite at 9:00.  Am I mad!  I stayed at Annie's this afternoon and helped them.  Nick Kahler's were there for dinner.  Ralph and Ray came out after supper and teased us like the dickens.  Mom followed them in Ray's Ford.  We went down town a few minutes and saw F.S. and E.B.
June 14, 1931 - Raymond, Alice, Ralph and I went to Osmond to Grandpa Kahler's birthday.  We came back to Ola and Annie's about 4:30.  Ate ice cream and then up to Uncle Hans' in the trunk to do chores.  When we got back we found out that Othel Baker's had come and wanted me to work for them.  I went home, packed my suitcase and went up there.

I wasn't able to find anything about Othel Baker in the Winside history book.  I went for a long shot and looked up Othel Baker on the internet.  I did not find him, but I did discover there is a Winside Drive in Baker, Louisiana.  I wonder how that ever came about.

And that is not a typo; Grandma rode in the trunk.

I can't express enough my distress at one of Uncle Ray's chickens being missing.

1 comment:

  1. I never heard of Othel Baker. I'm assuming later entries will explain what kind of work she was doing there.

    ReplyDelete