Thursday, November 28, 2013

Something else I didn't know

 

July 3, 1931 - Momma went out to help at Hoyt's today.  Ray, Willie, E.B., F.S., R.K. and I went to Wayne tonite.  Wayne is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its founding, yesterday, today and tomorrow.  We rode on the elephant and had a good time.
July 4, 1931 - It rained all day until about 4 o'clock.  Willie, Edwin, Florence and Ralph were here.  Tonite to Norfolk to the show, "Bad Sister" and out to King's a few minutes.
July 5, 1931 - Willie stayed last night.  We went to church this morning.  This afternoon we went to a ball game at Ted Foote's.  Ralph made two home runs, even though he was half asleep.  We went to Wayne tonite for the last day of the Golden Jubilee.  Yesterday was so bad that they extended the celebration for another day.

I definitely do not recall Grandma talking about riding on an elephant.  I can't believe I would have forgotten that.

Here is the plot summary of "Bad Sister": 

     Marianne (Sidney Fox) falls in love with con man Valentine (Humphrey Bogart) who uses their relation to get her father's endorsement on a money-raising scheme. He runs off with the money and Marianne, later dumping her. Her sister Laura (Bette Davis) loves Dr. Lindley (Conrad Nagel) although she knows he loves Marianne. Marianne returns and marries a wealthy young man, and Lindley turns his love toward Laura.

Good for Ralph on the home runs.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh I wonder if King's is the same King's ballroom of my youth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered that, too. I guess I need a history book for Norfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered that, too. I guess I need a history book for Norfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard about the elephant either. What a fun thing to do. I'm trying to visualize Mom getting up on an elephant. They didn't wear jeans then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even think of what Grandma might have been wearing!

    ReplyDelete