Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Something I didn't know

 

June 30, 1931 - We washed today.  I scrubbed all the rooms and did some ironing today.
July 1, 1931 - Baked bread and ironed today.  It rained this afternoon.  R.K., F.S., E.B. and Bill Frink and Hans came up tonite.  I came home tonite.  We were down town awhile.  Florence and I had a ride in Wallace Newman's new car.
July 2, 1931 - Mr. Baker brought me my money at 9:00.  We went out to Ola's and got their car.  I drove Ray's car out there, had to drive around the block and let Mom jump in as I couldn't stop the car without killing the engine.  Grussmother went along to Norfolk.  I got two new dresses, hose and a pair of white slippers.

Grandma Anna hopping into a moving car?!?  Neat!!  I wonder how Grandma knew she couldn't stop without killing the engine.  Did she have to shout at Grandma Anna as she went by to tell her to jump in?  Did it take a couple of tries for Grandma Anna to do it?  How agile was she exactly in 1931?  I am full of questions here that cannot be answered on this earthly plane.  I am guessing she and Grandma Anna could not start the car by themselves, or she would have just killed the engine, let Grandma Anna in, and then started it up.  I bet that is because it was a crank starter, but I do not know that for certain.

The photo is from 1924 and Grandma Anna is second from the left.  She looks perfectly capable of jumping into a moving car (and seriously, how fast must it have been moving?) at this time and seven years later.

3 comments:

  1. More questions. Who are the other women, where was this taken and what is Grandma holding in her hand? Oh my, so many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only question I can answer is that the photo was taken in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who the other women are, but if it was taken in Minnesota it was probably taken when Grandma went up there to have her goiter removed. As I recall there were some other women from Winside who went up there for the same thing, but I don't remember who they were.

    ReplyDelete