Monday, November 11, 2013

Graduation


May 13, 1931 - I went down town from school today and got Ray a belt and buckle set for his graduation present.  Aunt Mary, Pearl, Wallace and I went to Winside before supper tonite.  Ray got his wristwatch from Aunt Nan today.  We all went to the Commencement exercises.  Ralph took me back to Wayne.  We stopped in at Schellenberg's awhile.
May 14, 1931 - Uncle Charlie came home last nite.  I walked down to the Court House with Tillie after school this afternoon.  I surely enjoy the noon hour in Tillie and Wilma's room.  They have a lot of fun with the other girls.
May 15, 1931 - Ray and Momma came after me this afternoon.  Tillie went home with us.  Harold Jensen walked down the street with us and carried Tillie's suitcase.  That helped a lot because the suitcase was heavy and it was so warm.

I remember some of my high school commencement.  Mostly going from playing in the band to singing in the chorus to sitting on the stage and waiting to be officially graduated.  Our speaker was our janitor, Walt Hamm.  I think he may have been retiring that year.  Quite a number of teachers left or retired that same time, also.  We weren't sure if they just couldn't stand the thought of being there without us or if we wore them out so much they couldn't help but leave.

I haven't done a bit of history in a while, but I just checked and in May of 1931, the construction of The Empire State Building was finished.  My favorite building in Manhattan is still The Flatiron Building however.  It was completed in 1902 and at the time was one of the tallest buildings in NYC.  Here's a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment