Saturday, November 16, 2013

Spizz, really?

 

May 25, 1931 - Today is our last day for classes.  I got my "Spizz" this noon and had quite a few of the girls write in it.  I went up to Aunt Mildred's for supper.  We ate with Dennis'.  Tonite is the last time I'll get to eat supper with Aunt Mildred and Uncle Chris for some time I suppose.
May 26, 1931 - I checked in my books and got my $5 refund.  That felt good.  Had more girls write in my "Spizz".  Barbara took me home.  Annie and Mother came after me.  We went up to Carroll to see Mrs. Smith and also to Mrs. Geo. Linn to see about work.  She can't afford a girl just now because her husband has to have extra help.  Ray is working with Thorvald Jacobsen.
May 27, 1931 - I finished my box today and also lazied around.  It feels awfully good to be home.  Ray, Grussmother, Mother and I went out to Annie and Ola's after supper.  I drove out there but Ray wouldn't let me drive coming home.  After we were in bed, at about 11 o'clock, Edwin, Florence, Martha and Wendel came up here.  Martha's going out to Emelia and Art's tomorrow morning.  She came to say "Goodbye".

Grandma is writing the name of the school yearbook; I am not sure she is writing S-P-I-Z-Z but looking at both entries, that is certainly what it looks like.  Perhaps someone reading is familiar with the WSC yearbook.

I found this photo of Thorvald Jacobsen in the Winside history book.  He is listed with the other WWI veterans.  Good looking chap.

5 comments:

  1. I think Spizz is right. Don't have any idea where that came from.
    I rememer Thorvald Jacobsen well. He was a carpenter. He used to twist our nose or ear and grind his teeth. Don't know how old I was before I figured out that it wasn't my nose or ear making that noise. His wife, Myrtle, is that lady that gave us Tom when Mom hurt her foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spizz is right, When did Mrs I graduate from the Teachers College??, I like to tell the locals I work over at the Teachers College. JIm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny info about Thorvald. And it was THAT Myrtle Jacobsen. Funny.

    Mom or Nancy may know when Grandma graduated. If not, I guess we will find out as we go along here. I have four more years of diaries to go through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, I am going to say Grandma finished her studies sometime in 1931 since her 1932 journal starts off with her writing about her class and giving exams, etc.

    ReplyDelete